SERVICES FOR ARTISTS, COLLECTORS & ORGANIZATIONS
• APPRAISER: Current, accurate, market-based appraisals are essential to every collector, institution, and artist. I offer formal written appraisals of quilts for tax and insurance purposes. I have appraised quilts for many artists, collectors, and institutions wishing to establish and document fair market and/or insurance values for their work and for collectors donating quilts to museums.
• ART ADVISOR & CONSULTANT: Knowledge is power. Every serious collector needs and relies on unbiased expert advice. My experience can save time and money and help avoid costly mistakes. I have worked with many museums, businesses, and private collectors to analyze and catalog collections and set goals for collection development and care. I can act as your private curator and help you focus your collecting activities, set realistic goals, and find and acquire appropriate objects. I can also advise on museum-quality care, display, and conservation of your collections.
• AUTHOR, EDITOR, BOOK PRODUCER: I am an accomplished writer, editor, and book packager with deep and varied skills, offering services ranging from basic manuscript editing to the creation of original publications, working with clients from their initial concept to completed book.
I have written many critically acclaimed books for major publishers such as Clarkson Potter, Lark Books, Levin Associates, and Sterling Publishing; contributed essays to numerous museum catalogs; and written articles for The Magazine Antiques, Early American Life, Sports Afield, FiberArts, Quilter's Newsletter, Quilt Life, and other periodicals.
I also have edited a number of books written by other authors and produced books, catalogs, and calendars for publishers, museums, corporations, and individuals.
I have extensive experience as a book editor and can help improve the quality of any manuscript.
I also can assist authors prepare book proposals and offer advice on successfully approaching publishers.
If you are interested in self-publishing, I can help you produce a high quality publication of any kind and provide expert design, photography, printing, and distribution options to you, taking your idea from concept to bound book or facilitating any step in between. My Vermont-based team can provide book development and editing, indexing, and book and cover design, and guide your book through printing by award-winning presses.
• CURATOR: I can plan and organize your exhibition, make arrangements for loans, photography and shipping, and write and edit catalogs. I curated the landmark exhibition, "The 100 Best American Quilts of the 20th Century," shown at International Quilt Festival in 1999, and also have curated exhibitions at the Tokyo Great International Quilt Festival, the National Gallery of Art, the Smithsonian Institution's Renwick Gallery, the University of Michigan Art Museum, the Houston Museum of Natural Science, the Shelburne Museum, the Dallas Museum of Natural Science, the New England Quilt Museum, and many other institutions and expositions in the US, Europe, and Japan.
• SPEAKER: I have lectured at dozens of venues around the United States, including the American Folk Art Museum, the De Young Museum of Fine arts, the Museum of Art & Design, the Fuller Craft Museum, the New England Quilt Museum, the San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles, and Sotheby's auction house. I offer a range of lectures on historic and contemporary quilts and often work with museums and other institutions on special presentations. Read more here.
• SHOW AND CONTEST JUROR: I have juried dozens of quilt shows, contests, and competitions, including Quilt National, Quilt Visions, the Husqvarna Gallery of Quilt Art, The Millennium Quilt Contest, the Great Arkansas Quilt Festival, the Front Range Quilters "Elements" exhibition, Hands All Around: International Quilts, and Tactile Architecture. My extensive curatorial knowledge and broad aesthetic perspective will lend depth and credibility to any show or contest.
Contact Robert Shaw for more information about any of these services